Every children’s church needs a program outline to be effective. Making a program outline is easy if you know how, but it can drive you insane if you don’t. Here are the steps to making a program outline.
1. Use a word processing program such as Microsoft Word. Some people attempt to use data programs with tables such as Microsoft Excel, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It makes things more complicated.
2. At the top of the page, list date, name of lesson, and memory verse.
3. Divide your page into 5 columns. Create columns for Word 2007 or 2010 using the Page Layout tab. Here’s a link if you can’t figure it out.
4. Label the columns.
- First column labeled media name. If you use a song or a power point slide for a game, list the name of the media here.
- Second column labeled track #. If you use a presentation software such as Easy Worship, list the number on the list for your presentation. If you use a DVD or CD, list the track number.
- Third column labeled resources. This will show what resources you are using. It could be EW for Easy Worship, puppets, object lesson supplies, etc.
- Fourth column labeled comments. This is where you list what you will be doing. For example: games, object lesson, skit, etc.
- Fifth column labeled worker. Since you will hand out a copy of the program outline to each worker, the worker will know when he is supposed to do what.
5. After you set up your columns, add things you would normally do in a service to make things easier when you fill out the program outline. You might list opening, welcome, games, verse, praise and worship, offering, etc.
6. At the bottom of the page, delete column and list special instructions and supplies needed. This will make things easier when you gather supplies for the day. You might also want to record attendance and offering here.
7. Finally on the back of each program outline, after each service, write notes about what went right and what went wrong. These notes will help you evaluate your service.
Below you will find a generic program outline I use. Feel free to download it and change it to fit your children’s ministry.