There are some wonderful resources out there about leadership in children’s ministry. While I don’t agree with everything in every book listed here, (I agree with most of it), they are guaranteed to challenge you. Here are 10 of my favorites.
1. Children’s Ministry Leadership: The You Can Do It Guide by Jim Wideman
Practical, hands-on manual for developing an effective children’s ministry. I highly recommend this book especially for new children’s pastors.
2. Children’s Ministry Volunteers That Stick by Jim Wideman
The best book on recruiting and training volunteers ever written.
3. Leadership Essentials For Children’s Ministry by Craig Jutila
Leadership principles for building a team using the acronym PATH: Passion, Attitude, Teamwork, Honor.
4. The Growing Leader: Healthy Essentials For Children’s Ministry by Craig Jutila
Leadership principles for building a team using the acronym DIVE: Discerning, Influential, Vulnerable, and Exalting.
5. Children’s Ministry In The 21st Century by Craig Jutila, Pat Verbal, and Jim Wideman
Great practical advise on children’s ministry for this generation.
6. Think Orange by Reggie Joiner
This book explains the orange style of family ministry.
7. Redefining Children’s Ministry In the 21st Century by Becky Fischer
A book about how to help children move in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. This is a must for pentecostal children’s pastors.
8. The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe
This is a great book to help you understand the Homelander Generation, the generation now in our children’s ministries. Here’s a link to some blog posts about ministering to the Homelander Generation.
9. Fast Forward MBA In Project Management by Eric Verzuh
Effective children’s pastors need to learn and understand the basics of project management of the will eventually crash and burn. But if you haven’t learned the basics of time management yet, I strongly recommend you read and apply this next book first.
10. Beat The Clock: Successful Strategies For Effective Time Management by Jim Wideman
Time Management 101.