The Bible teaches a lot about teaching children the foundational truths of God’s Word when they’re young.
Deuteronomy 4:9-10 (NKJV) Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren, especially concerning the day you stood before the Lord your God in Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.
Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (NKJV) “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Proverbs 2:6 (NKJV) Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Isaiah 28:10 (NKJV) For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, Here a little, there a little.
Here’s my list of foundational truths every child should learn before he or she enter kindergarten:
- He is the Creator.
- He takes care of us.
- He is always with us.
- We worship Him by singing, giving thanks and obeying Him.
- Jesus is God’s Son.
- Jesus grew up. He was a baby, a boy, a teenager, and then a man.
- Jesus helped others.
- Jesus loved others.
- Jesus loved children.
- We can love and worship Jesus.
- Jesus died on the cross and came back to life.
- Jesus is preparing a home for us in heaven.
- God made me.
- God loves me.
- I am special.
- Adults care for me.
- God gives me friends.
- I should be kind to others.
- I should love my family.
- God hears my prayers.
- I can pray anytime and anywhere.
- I can talk to God about anything.
- I should give God thanks everyday.
- The Bible is a special book about God.
- The Bible is true.
- The Bible tells me what to do.
- The Bible has exciting stories.
- I should take care of my Bible.
- The church is a place where I learn about God.
- The church is a place to worship God.
- The church is a place where I have friends.
- I like to go to church.